About this site
Before you send mail to Wool Works, please read this whole page
I do greatly appreciate feedback from users of this site, but
would like everyone to please be aware that I am only one knitter,
not very different from most people who visit Wool Works. Sorry,
but I don't have a huge collection of patterns that I can send out
upon request, I almost certainly don't have that one ball of yarn
you need to finish your project, I've probably never knit the
pattern you're having trouble with, I can't help your yarn company
break into the North American market, I don't offer any kind of
catalog, and I am not interested in buying 80 tons of unprocessed
Uzbekistani sheepswool from a wholesaler in Latvia. (Yes, I do
get email like that. Recently someone wanted me to buy doll parts
from a factory in Korea. Huh?)
Unfortunately, I don't have time to answer knitting questions. My
spare time is increasingly spare. However, I do want
people to be happy with their knitting. I recommend
several places you can ask general or technical knitting
questions and have a good chance of getting a quick answer from
friendly, knowledgeable knitters:
Also, here are answers to some questions I see a lot in email:
Notes of appreciation are always welcome. :-)
- Could you add this new
store listing to your directory, or update this existing store listing,
or delete a listing for a store that's closed?
- Thanks for the information, but if the page you're updating has a
link to a form (look for the words "form for stores in..." at the top
of the page in bold type), do not email changes to me.
Please use the forms interface.
I've gone to quite a bit of trouble to set it up, and here's why:
So, if you're submitting a store in an area for which I have a form,
use the form. You can get to the appropriate one
by following the links from the stores page.
- All the information about new or updated stores is consolidated in one
place, where it's easy for me to keep track of.
- A new or updated store can be seen by everyone as soon as it's submitted.
- The forms interface ensures the new entry is consistent with the
rest of the entries in the directory, and reduces the amount of work I have to
do to keep the directory current.
Why are there so few pictures to go with the
- Because very few people have sent me any. I hardly have time to maintain
this site, let alone knit every project on the patterns page and
take pictures of the final products. If you've made one of the projects
and would like to see it here, there are two things you can do:
- Find a scanner, and scan the image in and email it to me.
- Send me email telling me you have a photograph of the project;
I'll see what I can do about getting it scanned in.
- Do you have <insert
very specific pattern
description here>? or Could you help me find this
- If you don't see it on the patterns page,
the answer is no, sorry. Visit the patterns page for a couple of ideas about
other places to ask.
- Could you send me the
pattern for one of
the projects in the gallery?
- No, sorry. They're all under copyright and it would be illegal for me
to do so. I've tried to add more specific information about how to find
- When are you adding more
- I add them as people send them to me. I've joined Sarah
Bradberry's Free Knitting Pattern Web Ring, so you should be able
to find some others.
- Can you help me
find [this knitting book | this kind of
yarn | some other kind of knitting supply]?
- Probably not. I'm just a knitter who shops at
a few yarn stores now and then; I'm not connected with any knitting
supplier, and you're much more likely to get a helpful answer from
one of the following sources:
- How do I get onto the knitting
- Look at the computer-based resources for
knitters, under "mailing lists." There are specific instructions
- Could you provide
more information about knitting machines (or crochet, or another
- This is a handknitting
site. I'm just a handknitter, and don't feel
qualified to maintain information about other textile arts, especially
since there are other people out there doing just that, far better
than I could. I've added a page of
links to other fiber-related sites, and
an automated system for people to submit new ones.
- May I link to your
- Yes, by all means! Please feel free to link to my site; there's no
need to write to me to ask.
- I've found a broken
link. What should I do?
- Please let me know! If I've broken
anything, odds are I don't know about it unless you tell me. So please do.
- Is there a fee for being listed in
- No. I maintain this site as a labor of love, in my spare time, and
don't get any monetary compensation from it.
Emily Way (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Last updated November 2, 1999